Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our State Fair is a Great State Fair!

This week is the WI State Fair. Jeff and I look forward to this week all year. Unfortunately this year Jeff has been working extra hours and I don't know if we're going to be able to make it to the fair together which makes me very sad.

The girls and I have headed to the State Fair twice already this week. We had lots of fun but boy oh boy is it a lot of work to take two toddlers and a stroller to a busy fair! Neither one of them wants to actually stay in the stroller so it seems like just an extra pain in the butt, but we need it for the long walk back to the car.

This is the first year at the fair where I'm actually using my camera in manual mode. I found it more than a little frustrating with all of the changing light conditions. Blinding sun one minute and then dark animals barns the next. Pushing the stroller and trying not to lose the two of them in the crowd meant I had precious little time to actually mess around with my settings. I'm hoping that by this time next year I'll be able to look back on my photographically frustrating trip to the fair and have a good chuckle!

So, here are a few of my fair favorites. If you live anywhere near Milwaukee I highly suggest a trip to the fair. Beautiful animals, wonderful music and everything you could ever hope to eat-on a stick!

Isabelle has a quiet moment with a cow
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Isabelle loves sitting on the chairs that you put a quarter into and they vibrate!


Only at the State Fair is it totally appropriate to have ice cream for lunch!


I was so proud of Sophie. This was her first time riding the ponies.


I'm bummed that my girls love lemonaide as much as I do. That means I have to share!

(I'm also choosing this photo for Communal Tues and Sweet Shot Tues. Hand shaken lemonaide is one of my favorite things at the fair!
Sweet Shot Day





Giant tractor wheels


And you have to wash down that ice cream with some cotton candy!


My girls love the wheel walker clown!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Baby Ducks!


And finally, what should we have for dessert?


Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I am beyond impressed that you shot in manual, pushed a stroller and herded 2 toddlers. You have to be a super star!! Oh.my.goodness. the pictures are gorgeous. So glad you joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed too - our fair isn't until October and I can't wait. We missed it last year because we got married during the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, hats off to you for bringing two toddlers to the fair on your own. That alone already gets 'The Wave' from me and you shot in manual, too!! Double wow. I love all the sweet shots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they had so much fun!! What great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great set of photos!!! We just visited our State Fair this weekend :) Glad to see that things are not that different between fairs in NJ and WI!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The state fair can be so much fun! Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming for the little ones though. I love your shot with the dairy cow. That's my favorite. The way she's leaning over, nice composition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous little girls you have. I wish the fair was closer to our home, but it is almost 3 hours away, so we never get to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture of Isabelle and the cow. Thats seriously one of the cutest pictures I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in WI, too. I agree that we have a great state fair, but we unfortunately didn't get there this year. I'm surprised you don't have any cream puff pics! My kids actually call the state fair the cream puff fair (as opposed to our county fair). :)

    ReplyDelete